Thursday, July 18, 2013

Reference to help get you started!

I am often asked about the books I read and the sources of my information.  Here is an overview of the resources that have helped me in my journey to Health and Fitness.  I will admit that some of the sources have conflicting information, but the overall guidelines support each other.  It also helps to read several viewpoints so that you can make your own decision about what is best for you.  Whether you are vegan, paleo, vegetarian or Atkins - many of the same principles apply.

As a runner, I also like to follow athletes who have overcome challenges in their life to achieve great success.  I have included those as well.  Enjoy!


Reference Material:

Vegan Lifestyle:
Dr. John McDougal, http://www.drmcdougall.com/, Podcast

John Robbins, The Food Revolution
Dr. T. Collin Campbell, The China Study

Other Dietary References:
Vinnie Tortorich, Fitness Confidential

Joel Furman, Eat to Live
Michael Pollan, The Omnivores Dilemma, In Defense of Food

Fat Chance, Robert Lusting
Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat

Michael Moss, Salt Sugar Fat
Dr. Michael Greger, www.nutritionfacts.org (great reference site)

Personal Blog:
http://bjtucker05.blogspot.com/

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/HealthAndFitnessTheSimpleTruth

Athletes I follow:
Rich Roll, Finding Ultra

Scott Jurak, Eat and Run
Christopher McDougal, Born to Run

Dean Karnazes, 50 Marathons in 50 Days and Ultra Marathon Man
Chris McCormack, I Am Here to Win,

Chrissie Wellington, A Life Without Limits

Miscellaneous
Charles Duhigg, The Power of Habit

Short Films
Forks Over Knives

Killer at Large
Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead

Super Size Me
Food, Inc.

Podcast

Vinnie Tortorich, Angriest Trainer (explicit)
The Rich Roll Podcast
Endurance Planet

Plant, Run, Family
Zen and the Art of Triathlon

Ben Greenfield
The Fit, Fat, Fast Podcast

NutritionalFacts.org
Marathon Training Academy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment